Thursday, March 01, 2007

 

writing shiting

"I'm in love," Aadam Aziz said to Ilse Lubin. And later, "... So I've only seen her through a hole in a sheet, one part at a time; and I swear her bottom blushes."

Now from what I know of him (partly from his cameo in Bridget Jones' Diary haha) I find Salman Rushdie vaguely distasteful, but I've just started reading his novel Midnight's Children.
I love the title.

I'm not particularly interested in finding out what the big was about the Satanic Verses, but so far I like the book - it's funny, intriguing, and features a boatman called Tai who says things like "What do you think I am, some commonly ignorant pie-dog? Get out of the boat now, your nose makes it too heavy to row." ... and ... "no, no, look you don't believe again, that big cucumber in your face is wagglingn like the little one in your pajamas" hahahaha

But reading it now reminds me of something a friend once said to me about a kind of post-colonial hangover in the Booker Prize. They seem to like these novels which show a new domain in which the English language has been used/developed, you know, novels with the mixedup English of "still no good baba" and kitsch phrases like "shikara walla" and "doctor sahib"...

Another thing about Rushdie is that he sometimes uses far too many adjectives in the same sentence, I know I often find myself doing the same thing when I write - it's not quite one of any descriptive word but all of them in a certain order that works to describe something.
But I'm not sure how well it works for reading.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?